As the final weeks of my pregnancy wind down, I find myself reflecting on things that I will miss about being pregnant:
1. Pregnancy hair. This will probably be the fullest my hair will ever be. I have enjoyed the thickness that comes with the lack of shedding during pregnancy and can only hope it takes its time coming out (vain, I know).
2. Kicks. Nothing is as magical or surreal as feeling that first flutter of life, and while these days my stomach can move like a scene from “Alien”, every twist and and jab reminds me of the miracle my body is capable of.
3. Naps. Pregnancy gives you the excuse to nap whenever you are tired, lest you overexert yourself. I know from the first time around that once baby arrives, naps are few and far between, and are always based on the little one’s schedule.
4. Quiet. When my daughter is at school and I am alone working at home, I savor the moments of tranquility. I know these moments will still exist, but I will need to seek them out, rather than have them simply be.
5. Yoga. I have enjoyed my prenatal yoga classes and the time I get to spend with myself and my baby. While I have every intention on getting back to the mat, post-partum, it won’t be as easy to head off to class as it is now.
6. Discussing baby with my daughter. I have enjoyed sharing this experience with my 6-year-old daughter and while I cannot wait for her to fully enter Big Sisterhood, these past nine months have allowed us to bond in a very special and memorable way.
7. Eating. Who doesn’t enjoy an excuse to eat food without worrying about adding a few lb’s to the waistline? I’ve been good about eating healthy and keeping my weight in check, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy my fair share of ice cream (baby needs calcium, after all).
8. The glow. There really is something about “the glow” that attracts smiles and good energy from friends and strangers alike. I feel powerful and am not at all self-conscious. My body is growing a human being – how can anything top that?